THE CLIENT …… established in 1992, my client is a specialist shipping agent and dry cargo broker. From its head office in Cardiff, they cover all of the South Wales and South West ports. In addition, the company has over 35 years’ experience in chartering, specialising in the dry cargo market, and has built first-class relationships with a range of prominent ship owners and charterers around the world.
- The role will provide support to the shipping department to ensure the safe and efficient delivery of Chartering and Port Agency activities together with providing an excellent service to customers and colleagues.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- To negotiate freight rates / terms with ship owners and charterers.
- Maintaining communication and control through all phases of the journey.
- Working closely with customers, colleagues and third parties to ensure smooth operations to deadlines
- Offering consolidation services by sea
- To ensure agency activities are implemented in a safe, efficient manner and to the requirements of the port/and principals’ requirements.
- Responsible for the accurate preparation, completion and despatch of routine vessel and cargo documentation to various parties.
- Assist in local port services and husbandry requirements on behalf of Ships’ Masters, owners and crew.
- Order port services with guidance/instruction from the Agency & Chartering Manager.
- Accurately calculate pro-forma port costs and husbandry costs.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with ship owners, charterers and shore side personnel/port authorities.
- As and when requested travel to and work from other port locations.
- Work under pressure and to strict deadlines, sometimes out of normal office hours.
To support the Chartering and Agency Team in
- Bids and quotations for new business opportunities.
- The identification and delivery of agency / chartering contracts.
- Reports and analysis of various products, companies, projects.
- Plan, deliver and record all work undertaken using Group systems as directed.
- Communicate effectively and promptly with colleagues, customers and suppliers.
- Deliver excellent customer service.
- Work flexibly.
- Ensure compliance with the organisations’ group health & safety requirements and all relevant current health & safety legislation.
- Work within the Company’s Group’s policies, procedures and values.
- Identify opportunities to increase and improve services to new and existing customers.
- Perform any other duties as reasonably requested by management.
- Have a good knowledge of European shipping, trading in the range of vessel sizes but not restricted to 3-6k dwt.
- Ability to drive and hold valid (full) license is essential as frequent travel between sites and vessels will be required.